The protection of individuals from family violence is a paramount concern in Texas family law. Courts in the state utilize various methods to prevent and address instances of family violence, with protective orders being one of the most common measures. At Rose Sanders Family Law Firm, with offices in Houston, Dallas, El Paso, and McAllen, our dedicated attorneys, Charles Sanders and Erica Rose, the recipient of the 2023 Rising Star Super Lawyer award, are deeply committed to providing the necessary guidance and legal representation in these critical situations.
A protective order is a legal injunction that aims to protect a person from future family violence. It can:
- Prohibit the respondent from committing further acts of violence.
- Prevent the respondent from communicating directly with the protected person or their family.
- Exclude the respondent from the residence of the protected person or from specified areas like the person’s workplace or children’s school.
- Require the respondent to maintain a certain distance from the protected person at all times.
Violation of a protective order can result in serious consequences, including fines and imprisonment.
Other Court Measures
Besides protective orders, Texas family law courts can utilize other methods to prevent family violence:
- Temporary Restraining Orders: These provide immediate, short-term protection until a full court hearing can be held.
- Temporary Orders During Divorce Proceedings: Courts can issue orders to protect a spouse or child during divorce proceedings, including awarding exclusive use of the marital residence or setting specific rules for communication.
- Custody and Visitation Orders: In cases of family violence, the court can deny or limit a parent’s access or visitation to protect the welfare of the child.
- Court-Ordered Family Violence Intervention Programs: Courts may order offenders to participate in intervention or education programs to prevent future instances of family violence.
Addressing family violence requires a skilled legal advocate who can navigate the complex legal system while providing compassionate and effective representation. At Rose Sanders Family Law Firm, Erica Rose and Charles Sanders are dedicated to providing such support.
Their commitment is not only to secure protective measures but also to provide ongoing guidance to ensure the long-term safety and well-being of those impacted by family violence.
If you or a loved one is facing a situation involving family violence, don’t hesitate to reach out to Rose Sanders Family Law Firm at (713) 221-3773. We understand the courage it takes to seek help, and our commitment is to support and guide you every step of the way.